It is America's most multicultural city.
Multi means many, so multicultural means many cultures. Cities with people from different countries tend to be multicultural. If you have just one culture, then you have a monoculture. Notice the following sentences:
- For multicultural week at school, we have a different country's food each day of the week.
- Multiculturalism has led to many changes in fashion and how people dress.
You get a variety of cultures.
When you have a variety, you have many kinds of something. 'Variety' is a noun. The adjective is 'various', and the verb is 'vary'. Notice the following examples:
- To be healthy, you need to eat a variety of food.
- My mother always told me variety is the spice of life.
Everybody pretty much gets along.
When people get along, that means they have no problem living or working together. When people don't get along, that means they do not like to be near each other and often fight. Notice the following examples:
- I do not get along with my boss at work, so I hate my job.
- When students do not get along in class, it is very difficult for the teacher to do group work.
There aren't any divisions between the people.
A division means there is a break in something. When you have divisions among people, that means there are different groups and that the groups might not get along or like each other. Here are some samples:
- There are some divisions at my work, mainly between management and the employees.
- The baseball league is broken into three divisions: the Northern Division, the Southern Division, and the Western Division.
San Fransisco has amazing architecture.
Architecture refers to the art of buildings. Architecture includes many structures, such as buildings, bridges, stadiums and stations. Here are some samples:
- Italy is very famous for its architecture, especially buildings from Roman times.
- The city has no interesting architecture. All the buildings are boring.