never ended up + ing
I never ended up finishing graduate school.
If you never end up doing something, that means you planned to do it but did not do it after all. Usually, you never end up doing something because you end up doing something else. Notice the following.
- We never ended up playing cards. We watched a movie instead.
- He never ended up reaching the top.
We did a needs analysis on the math course.
A needs analysis is when educators looks at a course and try to find the needs of the students by looking at areas they are weak in. A needs analysis focuses on what students need to study. Here are some samples:
- Most beginners do not need a needs analysis because the need to learn everything.
- A needs analysis showed students needed to learn spelling.
The website was organic in its creation.
When something is organic, that means it grows naturally or is created naturally with little help or planning. The opposite of organic is processed. Notice the following:
- Our relationship was organic. We were friends for a long time and then lovers.
- I tend to eat organic food and not processed food.
All the textbook conversations were scripted.
When something is scripted, that means it is written down. When something is not scripted, that means it is not planned or written down. Usually, most of what you hear on TV or the movies is scripted, meaning it comes from actors reading a script. Notice the following:
- The news is usually scripted but sometimes the newscasters speak freely.
- Scripted conversations never seem natural.
MD's were really popular at the turn of the century.
The turn of the century is the end of a century. So for example, the years 1998 and 1999 were the turn of the century before the year 2000 ushered in a new century. Notice the following:
- There was no google or youtube at the turn of the century.
- Y2K was a big scare at the turn on the century.