She was always able to listen attentively to the students.
When someone is attentive, it means that they are listening or watching very carefully. See the examples below.
- He is very attentive when he listens to music because he remembers all the words.
- It's hard for me to watch movies attentively because I always fall asleep.
A lot of people are experts in a field but they've forgotten what it's like to not be an expert.
Field, in this case, means a subject of study. Here are two samples.
- I thought I wanted to get into the field of engineering but there was too much math.
- Nursing is a very rewarding field -- there are lots of jobs and you can make good money.
They take certain things for granted.
When people take things for granted it means that they don't focus on it or pay attention to it. Notice the following.
- He took it for granted that I knew how to change the tire.
- He takes it for granted that I will always clean the kitchen and he doesn't appreciate it.
A good teacher challenges students and breaks down their accepted norms.
Norms are rules or what everyone expects is normal. Here are a couple of examples.
- A good teacher usually establishes norms for behavior on the first day of class.
- My parents have really strict norms about TV and computer games. I have to finish my home work first!
I think a good teacher should be knowledgable.
A person who is knowledgable knows a lot of information about a particular subject. Notice the following.
- He is incredibly knowledgable about baseball.
- I try to be knowledgable about current events so I read the newspaper.