Todd: Jamie, you're a businessman.
Todd: OK, so..
Jamie: Not his week.
Todd: Not this week! OK. Um. we're going to talk about globalization.
Todd: What do you think about globalization?
Jamie: Globalization! I'm not really sure, I have a clear definition of what globalization is, but if globalization is several nations trading on the open, or semi-regular basis then I think globalization is a relatively positive thing.
Jamie: For, certainly for the countries that are involved in the, in the business that is going on between the nations that are obviously involved with that business.
Todd: Yeah. OK. Great. So do you think it makes the world a better place?
Jamie: Yeah, the world a better place? No, I don't think it make the world a better place. I think it's just good for the countries that are directly and indirectly involved with the business that is going on between countries.
Todd: OK. Great. Thanks a lot.
Jamie: My pleasure.
Jamie is a businessman.
A 'businessman' is a person who works for a company buying, selling, advertising, etc. Notice the following:
- She has worked as a businesswoman her whole life.
- His life as a businessman is very stressful.
What do you think about globalization?
'Globalization' is the way that many companies and industries are moving to be in all parts of the world. This has happened because of advances in technology and transportation. Notice the following:
- Globalization has both caused problems and solved them.
- He is very interested in the globalization of his
I'm not sure I have a clear definition of what
A 'definition' of a word or phrase is what it means. A 'clear definition' means that it is a definition that helps you understand completely without any confusion. Notice the following:
- My teacher gives very clear definitions of vocabulary
- Can you give me a clear definition of the word 'beard'?
make the world a better place
Does globalization make the world a better place?
If you 'make something better' you improve it. To 'make the world a better place is to make changes and improvements that make the world safer, more comfortable, easier to live in, etc. Notice the following:
- He made the world a better place during his lifetime.
- How can you help make the world a better place?
It's good for the countries that are directly and
If a country is 'indirectly involved' it is not doing the actions, but is receiving the positive and negative results of those actions. Notice the following:
- I was indirectly involved in the decision.
- We are all directly or indirectly involved in global