90 Day at the Beach
James talks about a good day at the beach with friends.
- Audio Notes
One day last summer I had a very nice day with my girlfriend and my friends. We all decided one Saturday morning to go out to the beach. So we all organized it, arranged it, we all bought some food and some drinks, met out in Chiba and took a taxi out to the beach.
My friends and I arranged to go out to the beach.
If you plan to do something, you 'arrange' what you need to make that plan happen, such as organizing a time, people, equipment, and so on. Notice the following:
- Did you arrange a time to meet next week?
- We have arranged a lot of games for his birthday party.
take a taxi
We took a taxi out to the beach.
When you travel somewhere by taxi you are 'taking a taxi.' We use 'take' when we talk about transportation that we are not driving or controlling like a bus, plane or train. Notice the following:
- Don't take a taxi right now, the traffic is terrible.
- Just take a taxi from the airport to my house.
play in the ocean
We played in the ocean and ate and drank.
To 'play in the ocean' is to spend time in the water swimming, splashing and so on. You are having a good time in the water. Notice the following:
- She brings her son down to play in the ocean almost
- I like to play in the ocean, but only if the waves are
We got sunburned, and then we went home.
When we don't put on lotion to protect us from the sun and we spend a lot of time outside we can 'get sunburned.' This is when your skin gets red and hurts for a few days. Notice the following:
- They were having such a good time they didn't even feel
were getting sunburned.
- I hate it when I get sunburned.
We all had a really good time.
If you have a 'good time' you do something fun and enjoy yourself. Notice the following:
- We will have a good time tonight.
- I had a really good time at work this week.