to go and catch your flight
When we talk about traveling we catch a flight, train, bus, etcetera, at a specific place or time. “Catch” means that we are on time and can get on the plane, train or bus. Note the examples:
- The movie finished too late to catch the last train home.
- You can catch a bus from in front of the school.
you might be out late
We use “be out late” to talk about activities we do outside the home in the evening. “Late” is a time near or after midnight. Here are two examples:
- I start school at 8:00 AM so I can’t be out late on weekdays.
- If you are going to be out late, call me.
a book to pass the time
Here, “pass the time” means activities we do while traveling on an airplane, train, bus, etc. John suggests reading a book, some people play games, while others listen to music. Note the following:
- My flight was nine hours. I passed the time watching some boring movies.
- He passed the time with his Game Boy micro.
killing time somewhere
Killing time is similar to “pass the time”, but we usually kill time when we must wait for something or someone. See the examples below:
- Her friend was late so she killed time by seeing how many French words she could understand on the menu.
- The movie doesn’t start for an hour so let’s kill some time at Starbuck’s.
write down the contact information
Contact information usually includes the name, home address, phone number, e-mail address, etcetera, of people we want to communicate with in the future. Note the example sentences:
- Give me your contact information and I will send you an e-mail when I get home.
- To join, please enter your contact information in the spaces provided.
you can stay in touch with them
Stay in touch means to continue communicating with someone after you have met them. They can be from your home town, another city or another country. Here are two more examples of “stay in touch”:
- Give me your contact information so we can stay in touch.
- With e-mail and cell phones, it’s much easier to stay in touch with people than when my parents were young.