Todd: Hey, Keri. Let's talk about summer.
Todd: Do you like summer?
Kerri: Yes, I do.
Todd: OK. Why?
Kerri: Because it's warm, and blue skies, and fluffy white clouds.
Todd: That's true. Now, you grew up in Southern California. What was it like growing up on the beach in the summer?
Kerri: It was great. It was a lot of fun. It's nice.
Todd: Did you learn how to surf?
Kerri: I tried a couple of times but I didn't want to learn in the summer time cause the beaches are too crowded so I tried in the winter but the water is very cold so I gave up after a couple of tries.
Todd: Oh, really. Even in winter it's too cold, the water.
Kerri: Yeah, the Pacific's cold.
Fluffy white clouds.
If a cloud is 'fluffy' it has the appearance of being very soft, like a pillow. Notice the following:
- All the pillows and blankets on the bed were so fluffy that he fell asleep immediately.
- He gave his girlfriend a fluffy, stuffed bear for Valentine's Day.
You grew up in Southern California.
Where you 'grow up' is the place where you live for most of the time or for a long time when you are a child. Notice the following:
- We moved a lot when I was a child, so I grew up all over the country.
- She was my neighbor when we were young. We grew up together.
It was great. It was a lot of fun.
'Great' is a positive adjective similar to fantastic or wonderful. Notice the following:
- The party was great. All of my old friends were there.
- I had a great day today.
The water is very cold so I gave up.
If you 'give up' trying to do something then you stop doing it because it is difficult and you don't think you will have success. Notice the following:
- I know that Chemistry class is difficult, but don't give up.
- He tried to break the school record for three years, but finally he gave up.
I gave up after a couple of tries.
To be exact a 'couple' of tries means two tries, but we use this word to mean any number from two to four. Notice the following:
- He has been waiting for me for a couple of hours now.
- There are a couple of eggs in the refrigerator.
gave up • couple