Todd: Now, Mark, you're from Canada.
Mark: That's right.
Todd: Where is it, actually, that you grew up?
Mark: I was born in Montreal and I lived there for four years, the first four years but uh, I grew up in Calgary, which is Alberta, in the city of Banff.
Todd: OK, so what was your childhood like? Were you into nature, or sports?
Mark: Childhood I was into books. I was a big reader. I used to go the the library with my mother. And the first big trip I took overseas was when I was 14.
Todd: OK, actually, on this trip where did you go?
Mark: On this trip I went to Liverpool which is where my mother is from. So I went to Liverpool that time and Wales and Scotland and five or six trips after that.
Where is it, actually, that you grew up?
To "grow up" is to grow from a child into an adult. Notice the following:
- They want their children to grow up speaking both languages.
- She was born in Canada, but she grew up in Germany.
What was your childhood like?
Your "childhood" is the time in your life when you are the child. From when you are born until you are 18 years old. Notice the following:
- Who was your best childhood friend?
- I went to visit my grandparents every summer during my childhood.
I was into books.
If you are "into something" you really like it and like to do it in your free time. Notice the following:
- He is really into computers and computer games.
- She has been really into cooking lately.
I used to go to the library with my mother.
A "library" is a place where they have a lot of books that you can read and then return. There are usually libraries in every county, school and university. Notice the following:
- Did you find any good books at the library?
- I am going to the library to study.
The first big trip I took overseas was when I was 14.
A "trip" is a vacation or a travel experience. Notice the following:
- Do you remember the trip we took to the mountains a few years ago?
- They want to make a trip across the United States next summer.
library • trip