Todd: Hey, Melissa, we're talking about big events this week and what are some big events that you really enjoy?
Melissa: I like doing community events. I'm trying to get more involved in community events. There's a flea market this weekend.
Todd: A flea market?
Todd: Oh, yeah.
Melissa: At the beachside, and there's going to be lots of different eco-friendly stuff going on there, so it's kind of a mix of a reuse, resell your old stuff. Get new stuff for cheap.
Todd: OK, so for people who might not be familiar with the term flea market, can you explain?
Melissa: A flea market is basically a place where people can take old clothes, old utensils, forks, spoons, knives, things like that from the kitchen, and other housewares either sell them or give them away at a cheap price, and it's fun because the customers ... a lot of them like to come and look at all the different stuff and even maybe haggle some prices, so try to get you to give a lower price, or if you're trying to get rid of a lot of stuff you might try to get the customer to take two things for the price of one. Things like that.
Todd: Yeah, right. Like when I was a kid I used to always go to flea marts, or flea markets with my grandparents, and what I thought was great is that you can haggle.
Todd: Right? Cause in the U.S. you can't haggle at a store.
Melissa: Yeah, exactly. And I like doing that when I'm travelling ... haggling. Trying to get a good deal, so it's fun to do it at a flea market when you're selling your own stuff.
Todd: So, this weekend, are you selling or buying?
Melissa: Well, I actually don't have that much stuff to sell cause I've recently moved so I've gotten rid of a lot of stuff I don't need, but I do plan bring some old pieces of clothing and things like that that I want to get rid of, and yeah, I'm really into flea markets and old thrift stores and stuff like that, so I just like to see what people have. If there's something cool, I might buy it.
There's a flea market this weekend.
A flea market is a place where people sell old or used things cheaply. Notice the following.
- I bought this used guitar at the flea market. Isn't it cool?
- Let's try to sell these old CD's at the flea market on Saturday.
There's lots of eco-friendly stuff there.
Something that is eco-friendly does not harm the environment. Here are two samples.
- Nowadays, companies are producing more eco-friendly cars.
- My reusable cotton shopping bag is much more eco-friendly than plastic.
You can buy old utensils.
A utensil is an item usually used for cooking or eating. Notice the samples.
- I bought some old cooking utensils at the flea market.
- We need utensils; you know, forks, spoons, knives, stuff like that.
People sell utensils and other housewares.
Housewares are things used around the house, especially the kitchen. Here are two sample sentences.
- You can find a microwave in the housewares department of the store.
- I have to get some housewares for my new apartment.
two things for the price of one
Get the customer to take two things for the price of one.
'Two things for the price of one' is a sales promotion. When we buy two things, the second one is free. Notice the sample sentences.
- I bought these two shirts for the price of one.
- There's a two for the price of one sale this weekend. Let's go!
We say 'yeah exactly' when we agree with somebody. Here are two samples.
- Yeah, I know exactly what you mean.
- Yeah, exactly. I think it's her best movie too.
get a good deal
I'm always trying to get a good deal.
When we get a good deal, we get something we want for very little money. Notice the following.
- I got a good deal on my new computer.
- Maybe we can get a better deal at another shop.
get rid of
I plan to get rid of some old clothes.
We get rid of things we don't want. Here are some samples.
- I'm gonna' get rid of these old CD's. Do you want them?
- After 2 weeks, I finally got rid of my cold.
I'm really into old thrift stores.
A thrift store sells old or used things, usually to make money for charity. Notice the samples.
- My sister loves shopping at thrift stores.
- When I shop at thrift stores, I always get a good deal.