ELLLO Beginner English Lesson 2-10
There is / There are
Part 1: Learn the Grammar
Watch the video explaining the grammar point.
Part 2: Test Your Grammar
Now review the lesson and take the quiz.. How good is your grammar?
There is / There are - Grammar Notes
Point 1: Use 'there is' with singular countable nouns .
- There is a department store in town.
- There is a big mall in this city.
- There is not a place to sit.
- There is no park near my house.
Point 2: Use 'there are' with plural countable nouns.
- There are two cars parked outside my house.
- There are some books on the table.
- There are not many tall buildings in my town.
- There are no new students this year.
Point 3: Use 'there is' with non-countable nouns.
- There is crime in the city.
- There is money on the table.
- There is not any cheese in the fridge.
- There is no ice-cream in the freezer.
Point 4: We usually use 'some' in positive statements with plural count nouns or uncountable nouns.
- There are some stores on Cane Street.
- There are some trees outside.
- There is some food in the kitchen.
- Three is some snow on the mountains.
Point 5: We usually use 'any' in questions and negative statements with plural count nouns or uncountable nouns.
- Are there any students in class?
- No, there aren't any students. They left.
- Is there any snow on the mountain?
- No, there isn't any snow. It melted.
Take the Quiz