Simple Present Tense
1: We use the present simple to talk about actions that happen regularly or again and again. We use the base form for the first and second person and third person plural.
- They work for a small company.
- We live near the park.
- I have a lot of friends from high school.
- You speak really good English.
2: For negative statements, we add do not before the verb. In spoken Engish,we often say don't instead of do not.
- I do not have a lot of time. (written)
- I don't have a lot of time. (spoken)
- They do not work here anymore. (written)
- They don't work here anymore. (spoken)
3: Add do before the subject in Wh questions.
- What time do you work?
- Who do you eat with at work?
- When do you usually go to bed?
- How do they get to work?
4: We add an /-s/ to the verb when the subject is third person singular. We look at the third person closely in the next lesson.
- He knows a lot of peoples.
- She makes a lot of money.
- My dog hates cats and cars!
- My smart phone has many apps.