What do I usually eat for breakfast? Actually, everybody here in my country Algeria, eats French breakfast, which is milk and coffee with croissant. And I do, too.
The reason is because we were once occupied by the French colonialism, and their colonialism wasn't military. It was cultural. They came here, they tried to give us their habits, their religion, their language. They changed many things about us, about our habits, for example the breakfast, or for example the language. I actually speak French just as good as Arabic. But before the colonialism, we used to have Turkish or Syrian breakfast, which is cheese and juice and tea and olive and eggs. The healthy breakfast.
How to Practice Listening Comprehension
- Play the video.
- Answer the questions as you listen.
- Check your answers when you finish.
How to Practice Vocabulary
- Review the vocabulary from the video below.
- Complete the blanks below with words from the lesson.
- Check your answers. Correct any answers that are wrong!
colonialism | to take over another country
just as | equally
occupied | taken control of
military | army
actually | in fact
occupied • military
How to Practice Speaking
- Play the audio and answer the questions with your own answer.
- Click the blue squares to see the questions and possible answers.
- There is a pause of six seconds to answer each question.
How to Practice Grammar
- Choose the correct word for each blank.
- Check you score at the end. Three attempts are allowed.
- Study Tip - Play the video and choose the words as you listen.
The more you listen, the faster you improve!