Tara now lives in Tokyo. She shares her thoughts on this Japanese city.
Hi, this is Tara. I'm going to talk about Tokyo. All in all, I've been in Tokyo now for about a year and three months, and I really love it here. Sometimes I find it hard because the culture is so different from where I am from, but I find the people really friendly and once you make Japanese friends they will really help you out with whatever you're doing.
I work in the evenings so it's quite exciting for me to see, you know live in a big city and always see the nightlife. I do dancing here. I've had a lot of good experiences in Tokyo, some of the best times of my life, so, yeah, I'd like to stay here a bit longer, especially because I like looking at Japanese boys.
all in all
All in all, I've been in Tokyo now for about a year.
We use the phrase 'all in all' to sum up or give a concluding statement about something. In the example sentence it can be replaced with 'in total.' Notice the following:
- I would say, all in all, it was a good experience.
- All in all, it was a pretty good day.
find it hard
Sometimes, I find it hard because the culture is so different.
If you 'find something hard' it is difficult for you. Notice the following:
- He finds it hard to remember to call me.
- I find it hard to fall asleep after a stressful day.
I find the people really friendly, and it's easy to make friends with them.
To 'make friends' is to become friends with someone. Notice the following:
- If you want to make friends you should talk to new people.
- He made five new friends on the first day at his new school.
Your Japanese friends will help you out with whatever you're doing.
If you 'help someone out' with something you assist them in doing something. Notice the following:
- Can you help me out with the problem?
- I am going to help her out with moving this weekend.
I work in the evenings, so it's quite exciting to see the city at night.
The 'evening' is the part of the day after the afternoon and before the night. It is from around 6 to 9pm. Sometimes evening can mean the same as night. Notice the following:
- I have class three evenings a week.
- What do you do in the evenings after work?