Todd: OK, first of all, what do you do in your kitchen?
Nicoleta: Cooking mostly.
Todd: Yeah, OK. At your home, back in Germany, who cooks at your house?
Nicoleta: Well, I'm living alone so I do normally.
Todd: OK, do you cook every night or do you usually buy take-out or?
Nicoleta: No, at the weekends, yeah, mostly at the weekends.
Todd: OK. Actually what's a German dish that people cook like a..
Nicoleta:No, Yeah, everyone asks me about sausages here by the way. But I don't know a typical meal. Maybe really sausages. I mean, originally but yes.
Todd: OK. What's in your kitchen?
Nicoleta: Dishes and food, fridge. No microwave.
Todd: No microwave
Nicoleta: No microwave.
Todd: That's good. You're healthy. What's something you can cook very well?
Nicoleta: That I can cook very well? Soups.
Todd: OK. Like what kind of soup?
Nicoleta: Zucchini, cucumber.
Todd: How do you make it?
Nicoleta: It's very easy, just I don't know the English word, so don't ask!
I'm living alone.
If you are 'living alone' then you are living by yourself, just you in the house, without another person. Notice the following:
- How many years have you been living alone?
- Do you live alone in this big house?
Do you usually cook or buy take-out?
'Take-out' is when your order from a restaurant and then take the food with you to eat at home. The food can also be delivered to your house. Notice the following:
- Do you like take-out Chinese food?
- Although I know the food tastes better in the restaurant, if I am
alone I prefer take-out.
What is a typical German dish?
If a dish is 'typical' then it is traditional or normal to eat in that country. Tacos are a typical Mexican food. Notice the following:
- We had the typical Thanksgiving dinner: turkey and potatoes.
- What is a typical food in your country?
A 'healthy' person is someone who is not sick. We also use this word to describe a person who eats well, exercises and is generally concerned about his health. Notice the following:
- If you want to stay healthy you need to sleep more.
- I try to eat healthy foods, but I really love cookies.
How do you make Zucchini soup?
To 'make' something is to prepare it, but not from box or can. You buy all the necessary materials and you cook it yourself. Notice the following:
- Do you know how to make bread?
- My mother made spaghetti for dinner last night.