Kevin talks a little about life in his home country of Wales.
Todd: OK, Kevin, we're back. Could you talk a little bit about Wales.
Kevin: Yeah, Wales is quite a small country. It's west of England. There are about four million people who live in Wales. It's a bit like Japan. It's quite cold in the winter. Not much snow. But lots of sheep there. And the people are quite friendly. I suppose it is quite a poor area. Not many rich people. A lot of people are farmers. And a lot of people are miners. They coal..they mine for coal. But it is a very beautiul land. Lots of mountains. So I like it. The weather is cold. Even in summer it is not too hot. So if you do surfing or windsurfing, which I do, you have to be very very brave. Yeah, but please come and visit Wales.
Wales is quite a small country.
Used in this way, 'quite' can be replaced by really or actually. We can use this word to demonstrate contrast between fact and what people usually believe. Notice the following:
- It was quite a stressful trip, but it was nice to go away for a few days.
- He is actually quite a short man in real life.
Wales is quite a poor area.
A 'poor area' is an area where people don't have a lot of money. Here the houses, buildings and streets may not be very nice and it can also be more dangerous. Notice the following:
- The new governor wants to do a lot of work in the poor areas of the city.
- Because he came from such a poor area, he will always appreciate what he has now.
A lot of people in Wales are farmers.
A 'farm' is an area outside of the city where there is a lot of open space and farmers grow fruits, vegetables or grains and raise animals to sell. Notice the following:
- We had pigs and chickens on our farm.
- She lived on a dairy farm when she was little.
A lot of people in Wales mine for coal.
A 'mine' is hole in the earth where people dig for minerals, metals or precious stones. Notice the following:
- Many workers got very sick from being down in mines all day.
- There was a copper mine on the property.
You have to be very brave to surf in Wales.
To be 'brave' is to not be afraid of something that would scare most other people. You can also be brave in a difficult, but not necessarily dangerous situation. Notice the following:
- I know you are in a difficult situation, but you have to be brave.
- Even when we was a little boy he was always very brave about visits to the doctor.
Below are some more great lessons!
mines • brave