143 Night Life
Trevor talks about his routine during a typical evening.
- Audio Notes
Todd: Let's talk about the evening, night time activities. -- Trevor what do you do in the evening?
Trevor: Then I get home from work, I like to relax, have a drink and watch TV.
Todd: OK. When do you usually get home at night?
Trevor: About 7:00 or 7:30. About that time.
Todd: OK. How do you go home? Do you drive or take the train?
Trevor: Oh, I take the train.
Todd: OK. And when do you go to bed?
Trevor: I'm usually about midnight.
Todd: At midnight. That's pretty late.
Trevor: Yeah, I'm pretty tired by then.
Todd: OK. When do you wake up the next day?
Todd: Wow! You only get six and a half hours sleep a night.
Trevor: That's all I need.
Todd: Man, you're a strong guy! Um..how often do you look at the stars?
Trevor: Not so often but sometimes I can see them when I'm walking home. And sometimes the moon!
Todd: The moon. OK! Can you see the stars from your house?
Todd: Nice. Is it cold at night where you live?
Trevor: At the moment, yeah, but it is getting warmer, summer is approaching.
Todd: OK. And do you prefer the morning or the evening?
Trevor: I'm a morning person.
Todd: Oh, me, too. I'm the same. Last question, can you stay up all night?
Trevor: If I have a good reason, but usually I get tired after midnight.
Todd: OK. Yeah, me too. All right, thanks Trevor.
Trevor: See you later!
Night time activities.
'Activities' are actions that you do for a specific purpose. In the case of night time activities, probably for entertainment. Notice the following:
- What kind of activities do you do to practice spelling?
- I have to plan the activities for the children to do after school.
I like to relax.
To 'relax' is to escape from tension or stress. This can be by doing an activity that you enjoy or by doing nothing at all. Notice the following:
- We had a relaxing day at the beach today.
- How do you relax on the weekends?
Summer is approaching.
If something is 'approaching' it is coming closer, either in physical space or in time. Notice the following:
- The end of the school year is approaching quickly.
- As he was approaching the pretty girl at the bar, her boyfriend
Can you stay up all night?
To 'stay up' all night is to stay awake and not sleep. Notice the following:
- I am really tired because I stayed up all night last night.
- She tried to stay up all night to study for her exam.
If I have a good reason.
A 'good reason' is a justification or purpose for doing something. Notice the following:
- Do you have a good reason to buy her a present?
- He thought that traffic was a good reason for being late.