Todd: Alexandra, you were saying that you can cook Cuban food.
Alexandra: Yes, yes. It's very good stuff, and I've got one recipe that comes to mind that has to do with chicken and rice. You can take several pieces of chicken and boil them in water with some salt until the chicken is cooked. You take out the pieces and with a couple of forks, shred the meat. In a pan you put garlic, onions, olive oil, and tomatoes. Fry that up. Put the chicken on top and then put a puree of tomatoes on top of that and just saute that for awhile and you can put it over white rice and you'll have yourself a nice meal
Todd: Wow, that sounds pretty good.
Alexandra: Yeah, it's very good, and for change you can always add green peppers, red peppers and make it very colorful, and serve it with some white plantains and a little Cuban drink and you are good to go.
Todd: Alright, thanks. I'm gonna give that a try.
comes to mind
I've got one recipe that comes to mind.
If something "comes to mind" you remember it, usually because it has something in common with a topic of conversation or situation. So the sentence before the example sentence could have been: Do you know how to make an excellent pasta salad? Notice the following:
- What comes to mind when you think of our vacation to Florida?
- When I think of driving long distances, the memory of our trip to
Canada always comes to mind.
With a couple of forks shred the meat.
To "shred" something is to tear it into tiny pieces, like paper. Notice the following:
- You need to shred all the important documents after you read them.
- The recipe says two cups of shredded chicken.
Put a puree of tomatoes on top.
Cooked food that has been put into a blender to make it a liquid is a "puree." It is combined very well and usually there are no obvious pieces because it is a liquid. Notice the following:
- There are two cans of tomato puree in the cupboard.
- We are having vegetable puree and steak for dinner tonight.
Saute for a while.
To "saute" something is to cook it in a pan with a little bit of oil. It is very common to saute the onions in a recipe before adding the other ingredients. Notice the following:
- Do you like sauteed mushrooms on your hamburger?
- You need to saute the onions and the garlic first.
give that a try
I'm going to give that a try.
If you "give something a try" you try to do it for the first time. Notice the following:
- You should give acting a try.
- I know the pasta looks terrible, but you should really give it a