When I was eight years old I went to Girl Scout camp with my best friend Lauren. It was for two weeks and it was in the middle of July so it was really hot. We had no air conditioning. We actually slept in tee-pees like the native Americans. It was a great time. Everyday we took swimming lessons. We went to arts and crafts. We had to help cook the meals. We made breakfast, lunch and dinner. We learned how to canoe, ride in a canoe, and we also, what did we do? We rode horses, too. We got to ride horses. At first, maybe the first three days, I was really homesick, and I cried and I wanted to go home but after one week I loved it and I didn't want to leave.
We slept in tee-pees like the Native Americans.
A 'tee-pee' is a tent that is shaped like a cone. Some of the Native American tribes used these as houses. Notice the following:
- When they were children, they had a tee-pee that they
put up in the basement.
- Have you ever seen a real traditional tee-pee?
Everyday we took swimming lessons.
If you 'take lessons' you learn how to do something or improve your skills in that area. Notice the following:
- They took dancing lessons before their wedding.
- Have you ever taken piano lessons?
arts and crafts
We went to arts and crafts.
'Arts and crafts' are simple artistic projects that you can make with your own hands and abilities. Notice the following:
- Look what I made in arts and crafts today, Mom!
- She is an arts and crafts teacher at a summer camp.
At first, I was really homesick.
To be 'homesick' is to be in a place away from your house and family and miss them. Notice the following:
- She was really homesick for a few months.
- Do you ever feel homesick?
didn't want to leave
After one week I loved it and didn't want to leave.
If you 'don't want to leave' a place then you are in a place that makes you happy and you want to stay there. Notice the following:
- They didn't want to leave the beautiful hotel.
- He was having fun on the playground with his friends and
didn't want to leave.