Norman talks about things he can and can't do very well.
- Audio Notes
Todd: Norm, do you like to sing?
Norm: I wish I could sing, but no, I don't sing.
Todd: Yeah, OK. Neither do I. Do you like dancing?
Norm: Yes, I do.
Todd: OK. Uh..what kind of dancing do you like?
Norm: Oh, just not ballroom dancing, but just the ordinary one, you know, the just kind of just normal...nothing special.
Todd: Nothing special, no. OK. Do you like to cook?
Norm: Yes, I do.
Todd: OK. What, what do you like to cook?
Norm: I like to cook vegetables, yeah. Vegetables! OK.
Todd: And do you like to exercise?
Norm: Very much so I go, I used to go to the gym three times a week before I arrived in Tokyo.
Norm: Yeah, I used to go to a gym, but now I just run.
Todd: Last one! do you like to clean?
Norm: I like a clean place, but I don't really like to clean, no!
I wish I could sing.
If you 'can sing' you have the ability to sing well. Notice the following:
- He can sing like an opera singer.
- She can't dance at all, but she can sing.
Just normal dancing, nothing special.
'Nothing special' is nothing interesting, exciting or different. Notice the following:
- I have a lot of clothes, but nothing special to wear to
the dance on Friday.
- We are having chicken and salad for dinner, nothing
Do you like to exercise.
'Exercise' is physical activity, like running or playing sports, that you do to stay healthy. Notice the following:
- What do you do for exercise?
- The doctor told me to do these exercises every day.
I used to go to the gym three times a week.
We use the phrase 'used to' for a physical state or a repeated action that was true in the past, but is not true now. Notice the following:
- She used to be fat, but now she is thin.
- He used to like apples, but now he won't eat them.
a clean place
I like a clean place, but I don't like to clean.
A 'clean place' in this example is a clean house. A house where things are sanitized and organized. Notice the following:
- You can use the kitchen, but clean up after
yourself. Your mom has to have a clean place.
- There is never a clean place in the house after you have