112 Favorite City
Listen as a group of people talk about their favorite city.
Diego / Mexico
My favorite city would be Guadalajara, my city. It's the second biggest city in Mexico and all the things that are stereotypically Mexican come from my city so I'm very proud to come from that city.
Michael / United States
Actually my favorite city is San Diego. It's at the far south corner of the US next to Mexico and there is a lot of Mexican culture in San Diego. The weather is great, you can do outdoor sports year round and it's a really nice place to raise a family.
Santi / Indonesia
My favorite city, I have to say Jakarta because well it's my hometown. And since I love shopping, it's the best place to shop. It's cheap, a lot of deparment stores...
Hanna / Australia
My favorite city is Melbourne because you can do whatever you want and be whoever you want and nobody will think bad of you. It's a very multicultural city and it's a city with a lot of culture so lots of art galleries, lots of sport. Anything you can do or anything you want to do, you can do it somewhere in Melbourne and find lots of other people who will also want to do it.
Christophe / Belgium
My favorite city is definitely Brussels. It's the capital of Belgium, my country, and Europe. Because Brussels, well to start with, we have two languages that we speak there: French and Dutch. And a lot of people also speak English so it means if you live in Brussels you can speak at least three languages. Isn't that great?
MJ / Korea
My favorite city is Pusan where I came from because I'm more familiar with it and as my family lives there so I love Pusan. And Pusan has really good food so I love Pusan.
All the things that are stereotypically Mexican come from my city.
Stereotypes are opinions about cultures or people common, but they are not always true. Note the samples.
- Just because I'm tall, everyone stereotypes me as being a great basketball player, but I'm not.
- Tokyo is a stereotypically Japanese place to visit. It looks just like what you see in movies.
You can do outdoor sports year round.
If you can do something year round it means that you are not limited by bad weather. Here are two samples.
- Basketball is a year round sport because you can play indoors and outdoors.
- In many places, baseball can not be played year round because it's not fun to play in the winter.
My favorite city is definitely Brussels.
Definitely means that you are 100% sure about what you are saying. Notice the following.
- I definitely like chocolate more than vanilla.
- I'll definitely be at your party on Saturday.
to start with
Well to start with, we speak two languages in Brussels.
To start with means that you are going to say something now and you are also going to say something else. It is the same as saying "first of all,..." Here are a couple of examples.
- I have many things to do today. To start with, I have to do my laundry.
- There are three reasons why I don't like TV. To start with, you usually have to sit through commercials.
My favorite city is Pusan because I'm more familiar with it.
If you are familiar with something it means that you know it very well. Notice the following.
- I'm very familiar with the Harry Potter books because I've read all of them twice.
- I'm not familiar with that word. What does it mean?
priority • budget