Mixer 146 Have you ever cheated on a test?
Listen to what six people talk about what they did yesterday and see how they use the past tense.
- Audio Slide Show
Katia / Mexico
Oh, no. No, I never tried. Yeah, I'd rather fail the test than try to cheat. I wouldn't feel comfortable.
Mak / Croatia
Yes, I did. Actually, well, I tried to cheat on our tests many times, which is not really good of me, but it's, I guess, something that, you know, in Croatia, it's quite common to do that, but I try not to do.
Alex / Australia
I would never cheat on a test. It's not something that I'd ever done, nor I think I ever will do. I just don't find it necessary. If you put a little bit of effort into it, it's not that difficult. One usually feels one can't do it because you haven't done it, you haven't done the work. And if you just put a bit of effort into it, it shouldn't really be that necessary.
Paul / England
I have tried to cheat on a test when I was a primary school student. I collaborated with a friend and we decided to write the vocabulary words for the test on the palm of our hands. Of course, this was a rather obvious way to cheat, and we were soon found out by the teacher and punished accordingly.
Matt / United States
I've never tried to cheat on a test. I have read up on how to do it a lot, and I have dreamt about doing it a lot, but I'm always just a little bit too afraid of getting caught.
Adria / United States
Ah, no. I haven't cheated on a test, but there are times when I really wished I could, but I don't think I have the guts to cheat on a test.
put effort into
If you put a little bit of effort into it, it's not that difficult.
When you put effort into something, you try harder at it. Notice the following:
- You should put a little more effort into your writing.
- We need to put a little more effort in keeping things clean around here.
We decided to write the vocabulary words for the test on the palm of our hands.
Your palm is the inside area of you hand. Notice the following:
- The fortune teller read the palm of my hand.
- She wrote his number on the palm of her hand.
We were soon found out by the teacher and punished accordingly.
When you do something accordingly, you do it in an appropriate way for the situation. Notice the following:
- We parked our car illegally and were fined accordingly.
- This brochure talks about poisonous spiders and how to act accordingly if you get bit by one.
read up on
I have read up on how to do it.
When you read up on something, you read about it to be more knowledgable about it. Notice the following:
- Before the interview, I need to read up on the company.
- Women in their early 30's should read up on breast cancer so they know how to spot it.
have the guts
I don't think I have the guts to cheat on a test.
Here, guts means bravery. Notice the following:
- I always wanted to have a motorcyle but I never had the guts to get one.
- In college she didn't have the guts to be an actor because she was too shy.