Studying in Canada
Todd: Steve, I have a friend who wants to go study in Canada. What's the best way for a student to get into a Canadian University?
Steve: Well, it all depends on your nationality, and your level of English, in terms of your TOEFL score. If you have a very low TOEFL score then probably your best bet would be to first go to Canada for three to six months and study in an English college there, and try to improve your English. While in Canada you can take practice TOEFL tests, and you can find tutors to help you write essays, then when you return to your home country, if it's Japan, there's lots of good English schools, English tutors in Japan, Korea as well. I'm not too familiar with other countries but basically you have to apply for a student visa. It's usually not that difficult to get. Along with your student visa, you'll have to take a TOEFL test, which requires you to understand grammar.
There's a listening portion, um, there's a reading comprehension portion, and the most difficult portion for non-native English speakers is the essay question, because you have to write an essay during the TOEFL test, so I recommend that you practice writing essays and if you want more information I would ask the Canadian Embassy in your country or do a search on the internet where there's lots of information.
What's the best way for a student to get into a Canadian university?
If you 'get into' a school you are accepted to be a student there. Notice the following:
- He got into a good university because he was an excellent student in high school.
- She hopes to get into the nursing program for next year.
level of English
It all depends on your nationality and your level of English.
Your 'level of English' is your ability to speak English. Notice the following:
- The classes you can take depend on your level of English.
- His level of English improved a lot in a very short time.
Your best bet would be to first go to Canada for 3-6 months.
The 'best bet' is the safest or most secure solution or option for something. Notice the following:
- It's your best bet to avoid the highway around 6pm.
- I still think this car would be your best bet.
You will have to apply for a student visa.
A 'student visa' is a permission from the government in a different country to go there and study. Notice the following:
- What do you have to do to get a student visa?
- He is going to Canada on a student visa next semester.
portion or non-native
The most difficult portion for non-native English speakers is the essay.
In this case 'portion' refers to a section or part of an exam. 'Non-native' English speakers are those people who don't speak English as their first or native language. Notice the following:
- Unless a person learns English when he is very young, every non-native speaker will have an accent.
- My favorite portion of the speech was the beginning.