Todd: OK, Sophie, we're going to talk about high school. What was high school like?
Sophie: It was great. Lots of fun. Lots of friends. Learned quite a bit at school.
Todd: So, what did you study in high school?
Sophie: I studied mainly sciences actually.
Todd: Oh, really!
Todd: Did you study science in college?
Sophie: Yes! Oh, No! I didn't. I went on to do a bachelor of technology.
Todd: Oh, really. Well, that's kind of similar.
Sophie: Kind of similar. Related.
Todd: OK, what did you do in high school? Any clubs or anything?
Sophie: Yeah, I did rowing for the school. I played basketball, played tennis, was on the swimming team.
Todd: Wow, you're quite athletic. What sport did you like the most?
Todd: Rowing. Do you still row?
Sophie: No, unfortunately not.
Sophie: Would like to.
Todd: Do you think you'll pick it up some time in the future?
Sophie: Yeah, maybe, if I'm around a lake or a river.
Todd: Yeah! Not too many lakes in Tokyo. Um, anything esle? Any other memories about high school?
Sophie: Yeah, lots of parties. It was good.
Todd: Sounds like a good time.
Technology is also related to the sciences.
If one things is 'related to' another there is a connection between them. Notice the following:
- I think your sickness is related to stress.
- Is this research related to the presentation you're going to give?
I play basketball and tennis; I'm quite athletic.
An 'athletic' person is good at sports and physical things. Notice the following:
- He was really athletic in high school, but now he's fat.
- She has always been really athletic and healthy.
I don't row anymore, but I'd like to.
To 'row' means to move a boat with long pieces of wood called oars. When you are alone you row with two oars, but if you are part of a team you may use just one. Notice the following:
- We are going to take the boat out and row around the lake for a while.
- My shoulders get really tired when I row.
Do you think you'll pick it up sometime in the future?
If you plan to do an activity 'sometime' in the future it means that you don't know exactly when it will happen. It is an indefinite future moment. Notice the following:
- We plan to go to Europe sometime after the kids grow up.
- Will you come visit me sometime?
Is there anything else? Do you have any other memories about high school?
If a person asks if we want to say 'anything else' they are asking for other interesting information or opinions. Notice the following:
- Is there anything else you want from the store?
- Do you plan to do anything else besides sit on the beach on vacation?
sometime • anything else