Todd: So Aaron, in America we have this image of Australia being very rugged and all these dangerous animals. So is that true?
Aaron: It's not so true but it's not so wrong. The three main animals that are dangerous in Australia, one is the crocodile, two are snakes and three are spiders. We have some deadly spiders in Australia and some deadly snakes but the crocodiles aren't as dangerous, as you think.
Aaron: Unless you go swimming in crocodile water, you never see them and they're only in small parts of the north. They're not in the cities and the same with the spiders and the snakes. You never seen them. I've never seen one and I don't think I ever will unless I go looking for it.
Todd: Oh, that's interesting.
Aaron: If you see one, you shouldn't play with it. It's not a toy.
Todd: Yeah. What about the sharks?
Aaron: Sharks. Again, I've never seen one but they do attack people and they are a little bit dangerous but it's more dangerous to cross the road than to go swimming.
In America, we have this image of Australia as being very rugged.
A 'rugged' place is rocky and not well maintained. It is very natural and has not been altered by humans. Notice the following:
- I prefer a more rugged landscape than the city.
- There are miles of rugged trails in the mountains.
We have some deadly spiders and snakes.
If an animal is 'deadly' it can kill you. Notice the following:
- The poison that it injects in its prey is deadly.
- Have you ever seen a deadly animal?
Unless you go swimming in crocodile water, you never see them.
'Crocodile water' is water where crocodiles live. Notice the following:
- This place definitely looks like crocodile water.
- There is a lot of crocodile water around here.
You'll never see them, unless you go looking for it.
When you 'look for' something you are searching or trying to find it. Notice the following:
- We are looking for a good place to sit down in the sun.
- I'm looking for my passport and I can't find it.
cross the road
It's more dangerous to cross the road than to go swimming.
When you go from one side of a road to the other side you are 'crossing the road.' Notice the following:
- Be careful driving because a lot of animals cross the road in
- My parents taught me to hold their hands when I crossed the road.
looking for • cross