Well, I'm going to talk a little bit about why I'm vegetarian. Actually, I became vegetarian when I was 8 years old. We did a project at school and I found out that animals are actually killed for us to eat and as an 8 year-old I thought that was rather immoral, so I went home and I told my parents that I didn't want to eat meat anymore so now I eat everything really except for meat and fish and I don't eat things with animals fats in either.
I think really I'm a vegetarian now because it's a habit and if I were to eat meat, I think I would be quite ill. My favorite food is probably tofu although I like broccoli and I like chocolate as well. Sometimes because I like traveling, I go to places and it's really difficult for vegetarians because they don't really have anything for vegetarians to eat, so sometimes I just have like, a bowl of rice, or an omelet, or something like that, but when I'm at home, I like to cook for myself, and I like to cook nice vegetarian dishes, and stews and things like that. My parents didn't mind me becoming a vegetarian, and I think they were really good about it because I don't know many people, who when their child said they wanted to be a vegetarian would except that, so I was really grateful to my parents for being so nice and understanding about it.
project or found out
We did a project at school, and I found out that animals are actually killed for us to eat.
A 'project,' in this sense, is a research task where students learn and then demonstrate their knowledge. When you 'find something out' you learn or discover it. Notice the following:
- Will you have time to get together to work on the project tonight?
- The neighborhood soon found out that the company was polluting the water.
As an eight-year-old, I thought killing animals to be eaten was rather immoral.
Something that is 'immoral' goes against ethical ideas or principles about what is right and wrong. Notice the following:
- They are an immoral company that doesn't pay their employees on time.
- Most people think that stealing is immoral.
Sometimes, I just have like a bowl of rice or an omelet or something like that.
An 'omelet' is a dish made with eggs and sometimes vegetables or cheese. Notice the following:
- My favorite breakfast food is an omelet.
- You can choose whatever you want in the omelet, and they make it right there.
My parents didn't mind me becoming a vegetarian.
When someone doesn't 'mind' something, it means that it doesn't bother or cause a problem for him. Notice the following:
- So your parents don't mind when you play your music loud like this?
- Do you mind driving? My eyes are really tired.
I was really grateful to my parents for being so nice and understanding about it.
When you are 'grateful' about something, you feel thankful for it. Notice the following:
- He gave me a present to show me how grateful he was.
- I'm really grateful for all your help.
omelet • mind • grateful