461 Ruth's Pet Peeves
Ruth talks about her pet peeve.
There are two things which really annoy me. Actually I experience both of them, sometimes, on public transport. Often when I travel I go on buses and on trains and both of these things seem to occur quite often. Firstly is when other people listen to music, they listen to their CD player or their MP3 player and the music is really loud. I mean, I don't mind if other people want to listen to music. In fact, I also really like listening to music and I often take my MP3 player to different places with me but I don't like listening to other people's music so I wish they would just turn the volume down a bit.
The other thing which really peeves me is when people leave their mobile phones on in public and the phones ring and ring and people never know whose phone it is because often people have the same ringtone. But the worst thing is when people have long conversations in public on their mobile phones. I don't really want to hear everybody else's gossip. I mean, obviously sometimes it is necessary to make a phone call to arrange a lift or to organise something. That's different. But when people have lengthy conversations I really get annoyed. I wonder what you think about that?
Actually, I experience both of them, sometimes on public transport.
'Public transport' is a way of moving yourself around if you don't have a car. Common methods of public transport are buses, trains, metros and taxis. Notice the following:
- Is the public transport system good here?
- I actually prefer to use public transport in the city.
turn the volume down
I don't like listening to other people's music, so I wish they would just turn the volume down a bit.
When you 'turn down the volume' on something, you make it not as loud. Notice the following:
- I always have to ask him to turn down the volume when he watches TV.
- Can you turn down the volume a little bit? I hate shouting like this.
The other thing which really peeves me is when people leave their mobile phones on in public.
A 'peeve' is something that bothers you. Notice the following:
- People chewing with their mouth open is one of his peeves.
- It is one of my peeves when people try to have a conversation with you when they are on the phone with someone else.
People don't know whose phone it is that's ringing because often they have the same ringtone.
A 'ringtone' is the sound that your cellphone makes when it rings. Notice the following:
- I like your ringtone. What song is that?
- I can almost never hear this ringtone.
arrange a lift
Obviously, sometimes it's necessary to make a phone call to arrange a lift or to organize something.
When you 'arrange a lift' you contact someone to pick you up at a certain place. Notice the following:
- Since I don't have a car right now, I spend a lot of time trying to arrange lifts.
- We are trying to arrange a lift from the airport on Tuesday.
But when people have lengthy conversations, I really get annoyed.
When a conversation is 'lengthy,' it takes place for a long period of time. Notice the following:
- The movie was good, but it was a bit lengthy.
- I don't know why the meeting was so lengthy.