112 Favorite Foods
Diana talks about food she loves and what she likes to put on it.
Todd: OK, Diana, we're going to talk about food. You were just talkin about food in Chicago. What kind of good food can you get in Chicago?
Dianna: Chicago is famous for its Chicago style pizza or their hotdogs. The pizza is different because they put the sauce on top I guess, and like they have just amazinlgy huge toppings like sausages the size of your hand.
Todd: Wow, seriously. Whoa! What other toppings can you find on a pizza?
Todd: I love feta cheese. Nice. OK. What is your favorite topping?
Dianna: My favorite topping on pizza is weird but I like pineapple.
Todd: Oh, yeah.
Dianna: Yeah I love it. It tastes good with cheese and sauce.
Chicago is famous for its Chicago style pizza.
A 'style' is a distinctive or unique method of doing something. In this case, this method of preparing pizza is unique to Chicago, and is not the same as pizza in New York. Notice the following:
- She has always had a unique clothing style. I'm not surprised that she became a fashion designer.
- I really like his style of music.
The pizza is different because the sauce is on top.
'Different' is the opposite of the same. In the example, 'different' can be replaced by special or unique. Notice the following:
- This year we are going to do something different on our family vacation.
- He likes to be different than everyone else.
Toppings of sausages the size of your hand.
A 'topping' on a pizza is an ingredient that goes on the top, like cheese, pepperoni or vegetables. Notice the following:
- I would like a large pizza with 3 toppings.
- What toppings do you want?
They have amazingly huge toppings.
In this sentence 'amazingly' could be replaced by surprisingly or incredibly. We use it to describe something that is different in a positive way or unexpected. Notice the following:
- He drove amazingly quickly to the hospital.
- She did amazingly well on her Calculus exam.
It's kind of weird but it tastes good.
'Weird' is an informal and negative way to say strange. Notice the following:
- I don't think she is really weird, just a little bit different.
- The food was good, but a little bit weird.