Matt talks about his city and how it has changed over the years.
Todd: Hello, what is your name?
Mathew: My name is Mathew Gill.
Todd: Mathew, where are you from?
Mathew: I'm from England, from North of England, near Manchester.
Todd: Were you living in Manchester before you can to Japan?
Mathew: No, I was living in Bangkok, in Thailand, before I came to Japan.
Todd: Wow, world traveler.
Mathew: Yes, something like that.
Todd: Tell us about Manchester. What is Manchester like?
Mathew: Manchester's well know for being quite a grim, industrial town. but it's got a more modern reputation as a center of arts, and there's lots of cool music that comes out of there. Oasis from Manchester is the most famous band, and the Smiths, kind of fifteen years ago, came from Manchester.
Todd: Oh, that's great. I love the Smiths, actually. Do you like Manchester?
Mathew: I think it's a fantastic place, yeah.
Todd: I'd love to live there in the future. It's a great city.
Wow, world traveler!
A "world traveler" is a person who has been to many different countries in the world. Notice the following:
- She wanted to escape the corporate world and be a world traveler for a while.
- He was a world traveler in his twenties.
Manchester's well known for being a grim town.
A "grim" town is nasty and unfriendly; not a welcoming place to be. Notice the following:
- He always tells very grim stories about when he was a child.
- I've heard such wonderful things about Panama. I wasn't expecting it would be so grim.
Manchester has got a more modern reputation.
Your "reputation" is what people think about you. Notice the following:
- According to your reputation, you like to party.
- She has a reputation of being a hard worker, but very difficult to work with.
center of arts
A more modern reputation as a center of arts.
A "center of arts" is a place that has recent or traditional art. Places like this attract a lot of painters, photographers, and other artists. Notice the following:
- He always wanted to live in a center of arts and visit galleries or museums in his free time.
- She moved to Paris because it was a center of arts.
I love the Smiths, actually.
"Actually" has a similar meaning to "really" but is frequently added to a sentence to show a different opinion than someone else. The sentence before the example sentence could be: The Smiths are terrible people. And the example sentence shows a disagreement. Notice the following:
- It has been nice to spend some time alone, actually.
- It is actually quite easy to travel in the city.
Below are some more great lessons!
center of arts • actually