Sophie talks about her hometown back in her country of Australia.
Todd: OK. Hello!
Todd: Hi. Could you say your name please?
Sophie: Sophie Wilkins.
Todd: Sophie Wilkins. Sophie, where are you from?
Sophie: I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.
Todd: Oh, nice. Adelaide. What's Adelaide like?
Sophie: It's a big country town, although it is actually a capital city of South Australia.
Todd: OK. Is it like over a million people or?
Sophie: It's about 1.8 million people.
Todd: Oh, that's pretty big. Nice. How long have you lived there?
Sophie: I've lived there for about six years.
Todd: Six years!
Todd: OK. So, you weren't born there?
Sophie: No, no. I was actually born on a farm in Mid-North South Australia.
Todd: Oh, nice. Farmer girl.
Todd: That's cool. OK. So what, what do you think about Australia?
Sophie: I love it. I love the space, how clean it is, the health, the lifestyle. It's very healthy, and the people as well.
Todd: OK. Great, so after Japan are you going to go back to Australia?
Sophie: Temporarily I think so yes. For a couple of months and then hopefully come back to Japan.
Todd: OK. Great. Thanks.
Adelaide is a big country town.
A "town" is an area where people live and work that is smaller than a city, but still has many people in it. A "country town" is a town that is surrounded by country, or is located in a rural area. Outside of the town there is a lot of open space. Notice the following:
- They wanted to buy a house in a country town so their children would have a safe place to grow up.
- He is not a good driver in the city because he has lived in a country town for his whole life.
Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia.
The "capital city" of a state or country is the city that is the official location of the government. Usually there are special government buildings within the city. Notice the following:
- What is the capital city of your country?
- How many capital cities have you visited?
I love the lifestyle in Australia.
The "lifestyle" of a place is the way of life there. The routines, habits, hobbies and social standards of a place. Notice the following:
- His lifestyle completely changed after he started working.
- I don't know how you have energy for your crazy lifestyle.
Temporarily, for a couple of months.
Something temporary only exists for a short period of time. Notice the following:
- They are doing construction in the building next to us, but we know the noise will be temporary.
- She is working her first temporary summer job this year.
Then hopefully come back to Japan.
To "come back" to a place is to return to the place where the speaker currently is. Notice the following:
- We will never come back to this restaurant.
- Can you please come back home immediately after work?
Below are some more great lessons!
temporary • comes back