229 The DJ
Alex answers questions about his job as a college DJ.
- Audio Notes
Todd: Alex, can you talk a little about working at a radio station?
Alex: Yeah, sure. The Radio station at my school is called WMKP. I'm actually a DJ. Well, not the turn table DJ per se, but a DJ that just plays music and talks on the air a lot, so I do that a lot and that's really fun because I can have guests over and I can play, I like all kinds of music, and where I am only people listen to certain types, so I like to sort of open their ears to many different kinds of music from, I don't know, electronic, to classical, to jazz, to whatever I feel like playing. And it's really a bunch of fun. You make a whole lot of friends and you meet bands too because we have, we hold concerts sometimes so, you know, maybe I'm working at the radio station. I'm part of the staff at the concerts and I meet a lot of bands. It's really a very, very, very, very, very fun.
I work at our school's radio station.
A 'radio station' is an organization that broadcasts or presents musics and discussions on the radio. Notice the following:
- This is my favorite radio station because they play the best
- He has an interview on a local radio station tonight.
I'm not the turntable DJ, but I play the music.
A 'turntable' is a disk that spins and rotates records or discs. Notice the following:
- We bought an old turntable and a second hand store.
- Do you have turntable in your house?
I'm not the turntable DJ per se.
In this example 'per se' is very similar to exactly. Notice the following:
- This isn't a mystery novel, per se, but there are some things
that are only revealed at the end.
- It's not a new car, per se, but it's new for me.
on the air
I just play music and talk on the air a lot.
When a radio station is 'on the air' they are recording live. Notice the following:
- We are on the air now with the current political candidate.
- Hello. You're on the air. What is your question?
open (their) ears
I like to open people's ears to different kinds of music.
When you 'open someone's ears' you introduce them or make them aware of certain sounds, in this case types or music. We also use the phrase 'open someone's mind' to introduce them to new ideas. Notice the following:
- College really opened my mind to new ways of thinking.
- You need to open your ears and listen to what I'm saying right