Be Verbs - Present Simple
Man: I like your family photos. Who is this?
Woman: That is my dad. He is a doctor.
Man: Wow. He is very tall.
Woman: Yes, he is.
Man: Is this your mom?
Woman: Yes, she is a doctor, too.
Man: Wow! Smart family.
Man: Who are these people?
Woman: That is my husband. In this picture, he is at work.
Man: Is he a fireman?
Woman: Yes, he is. And this is my daughter.
Man: Wow, she is so cute.
Woman: Yes, she is cute!
Man: Who are the people in this picture?
Woman: That is my older brother and younger sister.
Man: Oh, what do they do?
Woman: My sister is a pilot. My brother is a farmer.
Man: Wow. They have cool jobs.
Woman: Yeah, they do!
Man: And, who are these people?
Woman: Those are my grandparents.
Man: Oh, do they live in town?
Woman: No, they live in the country. They have a farm.
Man: How nice!
Woman: Yeah, I go there often.
Be Verbs (am, is, are) Simple Present
- I am a teacher.
- You are a student.
- He is a nice man.
- She is very smart.
- I am American.
- I am not tired.
- I'm happy. (am = 'm)
- I'm not sad. (am = 'm)
- You are a student.
- You are not a teacher.
- You're a nice person. (are = 're)
- You're not late. (are not = 're not)
- You aren't late. (are not = aren't)
- She is my friend.
- She is not my sister.
- She's very smart. (is = 's)
- She's not here. (is not = 's not)
- She isn't here. (is not = isn't)
- He is my friend.
- He is not my brother.
- He's very smart. (is = 's)
- He's not here. (is not = 's not)
- He isn't here. (is not = isn't)
- It is cold today.
- It is not warm.
- It's easy. (is = 's)
- It's not hard (is not = 's not)
- It isn't hard. (is not = isn't)
- They are my friends.
- They are not from here.
- They're nice people.(are = 're)
- They're not my shoes. (are not = 're not)
- They aren't my shoes. (are not = aren't)
- We are here.
- We are not late.
- We're good friends. (are = 're)
- We're not busy. (are not = 're not)
- We aren't busy. (are not = aren't)
Gap Fill: Complete the conversation with the correct word!
Grammar Listening Practice
That is my dad. He is a doctor.
Is the air-con on? Are you hot?
So what foods do you like?
When do you get up?
Do you have any pets?