Todd: OK. Hello!
Todd: Hi. Could you say your name please?
Sophie: Sophie Wilkins.
Todd: Sophie Wilkins. Sophie, where are you from?
Sophie: I'm from Adelaide, South Australia.
Todd: Oh, nice. Adelaide. What's Adelaide like?
Sophie: It's a big country town, although it is actually a capital city of South Australia.
Todd: OK. Is it like over a million people or?
Sophie: It's about 1.8 million people.
Todd: Oh, that's pretty big. Nice. How long have you lived there?
Sophie: I've lived there for about six years.
Todd: Six years!
Todd: OK. So, you weren't born there?
Sophie: No, no. I was actually born on a farm in Mid-North South Australia.
Todd: Oh, nice. Farmer girl.
Todd: That's cool. OK. So what, what do you think about Australia?
Sophie: I love it. I love the space, how clean it is, the health, the lifestyle. It's very healthy, and the people as well.
Todd: OK. Great, so after Japan are you going to go back to Australia?
Sophie: Temporarily I think so yes. For a couple of months and then hopefully come back to Japan.
Todd: OK. Great. Thanks.
Adelaide is a big country town.
A "country town" is a town that is surrounded by country, or is located in a rural area. Notice the following:
- They wanted to buy a house in a country town so their children would have a safe place to grow up.
- He is not a good driver in the city because he has lived in a country town for his whole life.
Adelaide is the capital city of South Australia.
The "capital city" of a state or country is the city that is the official location of the government. Usually there are special government buildings within the city. Notice the following:
- What is the capital city of your country?
- How many capital cities have you visited?
I love the lifestyle in Australia.
The "lifestyle" of a place is the way of life there. The routines, habits, hobbies and social standards of a place. Notice the following:
- His lifestyle completely changed after he started working.
- I don't know how you have energy for your crazy lifestyle.
Temporarily, for a couple of months.
Something temporary only exists for a short period of time. Notice the following:
- They are doing construction in the building next to us, but we know the noise will be temporary.
- She is working her first temporary summer job this year.
Then hopefully come back to Japan.
To "come back" means to return to the place where the speaker currently is. Notice the following:
- We will never come back to this restaurant.
- Can you please come back home immediately after work?
temporary • comes back
Sophie talks about her hometown.
Rob talks about his construction job.
Matt talks about his city.
Clare answers questions about her home in England.
Laura talks about her city.