Matt talks about sushi and where he usually eats sushi in Japan.
Todd: OK. Matthew, we are going to talk about food.
Todd: What kind of foods do you like?
Matt: Well, now I'm in Japan at the moment, I'm eating a lot of sushi.
Matt: I've only got two weeks left here so it's kind of suchi three times a week.
Todd: Oh, wow! You really love the stuff.
Matt: Yeah, it's fun. It's great.
Todd: Where do you eat sushi?
Matt: Well, we either buy it in a supermarket, kind of buy a tray, about a thousand yen, or we'll go down to the conveyor belt restaurant just down the side the university on our way home.
Matt: Pick up a few plates.
Todd: The conveyor belt restaurant.
Matt: I don't know the Japanese word for that. We call it the conveyor belt restaurant.
Todd: When you go to sushi, how much does it cost?
Matt: Well, it's 130 yen for one plate, and usually there is two of us that go and usually we spend about one and a half thousand yen (1,500), about ten plates.
Todd: Ten plates!
Matt: Yeah! We like it!
at the moment
I'm in Japan at the moment.
"At the moment" means "right now" or as we are speaking. Notice the following:
- Can I call you back? I'm eating dinner at the moment.
- Where are you at the moment?
two weeks left
I've only got two weeks left here.
If you only have "two weeks left" in a place you are only going to be there for two more weeks. Notice the following:
- We have only five weeks left of school.
- There are only two weeks left to buy concert tickets.
It's fun, it's great.
If something is "great" it is very good. This is a positive adjective similar to fantastic or wonderful. Notice the following:
- I just finished reading a great book.
- His new apartment is great!
Pick up a few plates.
To "pick something up" is to hold it and lift it with your hands. Notice the following:
- Can you pick up that suitcase and put it in the car? It's really heavy.
- She picked up her sister from the chair.
We call it the conveyor belt restaurant.
What you "call" something is the name that you have for it. Notice the following:
- His name is Thomas, but we call him Tubby.
- We started calling this park "Paradise" after our first visit.
Below are some more great lessons!
pick up • call