I go to church and I'm going to tell you what it looks like inside my church. Firstly, when you go in, there's normally someone at the door who greets you and they give you a hymn book. Hymns are songs and we have a book full of songs, then in the main part of the church, we sit on pews. Pews are like long wooded seats and the pews in my church are quite big. You can fit about ten, or fifteen people, on one pew. The minister, he's the man who leads the service, is at the front of the church. He stands behind the pulpit, which is a wooden box, and he puts the bible on that box.
There are lots of stained glass windows in my church. They are windows with colored glass in them, and they often have pictures in them, normally pictures of stories in the bible. We also have an organ in church, and somebody plays the organ every week. The organ pipes are at the front and it's very loud. However, we also have a piano, and a small group of people who do singing on other days. I really like my church. I like the atmosphere there and I really think it's a friendly place.
There's normally someone at the door who greets you and they give you a hymn book.
A 'hymn book' has religious songs in it that are used during church services. Notice the following:
- What page is this song in the hymn book?
- We can just share a hymn book.
In the main part of the church, we sit on pews.
'Pews' are the long, wooden benches that are found in churches. Notice the following:
- Are there enough pews in the church for all the people in your wedding?
- We saved a place for you in our pew.
stained glass windows
There are lots of stained glass windows in my church.
A 'stained glass window' is made out of many pieces of colored glass to create a picture that is very colorful when the light shines through. Notice the following:
- There is a class that teaches you to make stained glass windows that I want to take.
- I love that new stained glass window you put in the bathroom.
I really like my church; I like the atmosphere there.
The 'atmosphere' of a place is how all the sights, sounds, smells, and people combine to create a special feeling. Notice the following:
- The library is not always the best atmosphere to study.
- This bar always has a fun atmosphere.
I really think my church is a friendly place.
A 'friendly place feels warm and inviting. The people and the atmosphere make you feel comfortable there. Notice the following:
- You can tell as soon as you arrive in the town that it's a very friendly place.
- My grandparents' house has always been a very friendly place for me.
friendly • atmosphere